From The Publisher: Life ought to be simple for Detective Inspector Alex Morrow. She’s not new to the police force–or to crime–but none of that matters as she’s assigned to the case that could make her career.
The case involves a seemingly random attack on a family in a quiet suburb of Glasgow, Scotland. Three armed men slipped from a van into a house, demanding a man who is not, and has never been, inside the front door. In the confusion that ensues, one family member is shot and another kidnapped, the assailants demanding an impossible ransom. Is this an amateur crime gone horribly wrong, or something much more unexpected?
As Alex falls further into the most challenging case of her career, she must manage the complications of police force politics, and a marriage every bit as tangled as the case she’s trying to solve. Rich with dark humor and powerful storytelling, Still Midnight shows again why Denise Mina’s mysteries have earned praise as among the best in the world,
If you plan on participating in today’s BOOK CLUB, please consider subscribing to comments at the bottom of the page, and check back throughout the day as more questions are added to the post.
- What were your general impressions of the book, and how did your thoughts and opinions evolve as the story unfolded?
- Based on Alex’s first appearance in the novel, what were you expecting from her as a character? How did your thoughts about her change over the course of the novel?
- Bannerman makes statements about certain people not having that killer instinct, what do you think he means by that? Does it have any bearing on how the police force operates? In how Alex does her job? Does she have a killer instinct? What evidence did you find to support your claim?
- How do issues of race and ethnicity affect the case? Was the family justified in concealing Bob’s identity? Did who he was surprise you?
- Mina spends as much time with Eddy and Pat as she does with the detectives. What did you think of that technique? How did it make you feel about them as they were in the midst of carrying out their crime? How did you feel about the circumstances in which they find themselves in the end?
- What’s next for Alex? I want predictions on her, her family life and career before we jump into the next book!
12 copies of Still Midnight were provided by Reagan Arthur Books in order to facilitate this discussion. Thank you so much!