This year my, mom and I decided to do a list swap. She has been on a reading tear lately – in spite of having a busy professional and social life. She’s been managing a book or two a month (yay!) and she’s getting tired of me always telling her what to read. Say what? She now wants to tell me what to read. We each made a list of what we wanted each other to read and what we wanted to read for ourselves. Her lists are one and the same since she also wants to read and share around the books she chose for me. We are being really flexible, so as long as we haven’t already read the book, these lists can change.
Mom’s List For Me & Her
- The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis – We both read this already, and really loved it.
- My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
- Tell My Horse by Zora Neale Hurston
- Paradise by Toni Morrison; or Stolen Lives by Malika Oufkir and Michele Fitoussi if you’ve read Paradise
My List for Mom
- The Absolutist by John Boyne
- Coming of Age on Zoloft by Katherine Sharp
- Bay of Foxes by Sheila Kohler
- Passing by Nella Larsen
- The Good Father by Noah Hawley
My List for Me
- Schroder by Amity Gaige – Read it and loved it already.
- Mudwoman by Joyce Carol Oates
- Magic Kingdom: For Sale, Sold by Terry Brooks
- White Dog Fell From the Sky by Eleanor Morse
- The Four Ms. Bradwells by Meg Waite Clayton
Book To Read Together
- Swan Song by Robert McCammon – Way back in the day I read this near thousand page tome and loved it, and passed it along for mom to read. She loved it too, but now it’s all a blur, so we chose it for our summer read.
We are both writing up our thoughts as we read these books. I will share mine here, eventually, and maybe if I get permission I can post some of hers as well. Then you’ll really get to see who should have a book blog!
Do you have a favorite friend with whom you exchange reading material? Isn’t it fun?